Avaya VENA is an enterprise-wide virtualization solution that simplifies the design and management of networks, streamlines the deployment of cloud-based services and improves the delivery of always-on content.
Today’s enterprise networks are evolving dramatically, growing in scale and becoming increasingly complex. Traditional networks do not provide the flexibility, resiliency or performance that customers require for critical business applications, cloud networks and the glut of new, high-bandwidth devices. Avaya VENA eliminates these traditional constraints to make networks more flexible, reliable and resilient.
Avaya VENA Enterprise Fabric
Based on the IEEE 802.1aq Shortest Path Bridging standard, Avaya VENA’s Enterprise Fabric simplifies the provisioning of services and the configuration of networks. It enables services to be added up to 25 times(1) more quickly with less risk, since changes only need to be made to the edge of the network rather than to every device and link.
- Avaya’s Enterprise Fabric allows Sparebanken Vest, one of the three largest Norwegian banks, and one of the oldest, to more quickly plan and implement upgrades and changes to the advanced cloud-based network that supports its 68 locations.
- It facilitates the adoption of technology-enhanced learning initiatives at Leeds Metropolitan University’s, and has contributed to a 200-fold improvement in network failover time that ensures that students and faculty are not impacted during planned or unplanned transitions.
- Oslo University Hospital leveraged Enterprise Fabric to create a shared, virtualized network that supports different user groups, projects and applications for three merged hospitals, and maintains a high level of availability for critical care services at all times.
Avaya VENA Switch Clustering
Avaya’s Switch Clustering technology virtualizes the network core to protect against failures, delivering true end-to-end reliability and active resiliency for always-on access.
- Switch Clustering provides Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport with a rock-solid network for a critical new luggage handling system that handles over 8,000 bags per hour and 70 million pieces of luggage per year.
- It also enables Concord Hospital to perform in-service maintenance and software upgrades in their network core while maintaining the highest levels of network availability; something that is critical in a paperless hospital environment.
- This announcement highlights Avaya’s commitment to bringing The Power of We(TM) to every Avaya customer to help drive faster collaboration, smarter decisions and better business results.
"Avaya VENA allows us to upgrade our existing set-up by building a very advanced and future-proofed cloud-based network. It gives us the flexibility and reliability we are looking for but in a simple, straightforward way. Avaya’s genuine open standards approach gives us confidence that we are protecting our existing investment and still future-proofing our network to easily accommodate future innovations."
— Harald Nordas, network manager, Sparebanken Vest
"High availability is a critical requirement for our network. The doctors here make life and death decisions every day and we can’t afford any downtime. Hospitals are inherently risk-averse and are rarely early adopters, but we were struck by the benefits that Avaya VENA Enterprise Fabric implementation of Shortest Path Bridging could provide our network. We knew the risks of undertaking this project, but found Avaya to be the ideal partner to help us succeed. As soon as the technology was available, we signed up."
— Espen Holthe, network engineer, Sykehuspartner IKT
"In designing for the future, Leeds Metropolitan did not feel bound to the past, and despite a long and successful history with Avaya Networking products, we undertook a rigorous analysis to find the solution that best matched our strategic goals. After conducting a comprehensive review, we determined that by using the Avaya VENA Enterprise Fabric capability to empower our network, we can develop new solutions to the challenges and demands of delivering cutting-edge learning services. We now find ourselves in the pleasantly refreshing position of being able to consistently say ’yes we can.’"
— Phil Taylor, Communications Consultant, Leeds Metropolitan University
"Enterprises are choosing Avaya VENA to build the advanced networks they need to support critical, next-generation business applications. And they are doing so because it delivers networks that are less complex, more efficient and better at handling today’s real-time application traffic. Avaya VENA eliminates the constraints of traditional enterprise networks to make them more flexible, reliable and resilient — so that businesses can spend less time managing their network and more time improving the experience of their customers."
— Marc Randall, senior vice president and general manager, Avaya
(1) Miercom Report [May 8, 2012]
Send this IT news to a friend