|Symantec Announces November 2011 Symantec Intelligence Report
Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) announced the results of the November 2011 Symantec Intelligence Report. This month’s analysis reveals that the number of daily targeted attacks has increased four-fold compared to January this year. On average 94 targeted attacks were blocked each day during the month of November.
Further analysis reveals that in the U.S. at least one attack is being blocked each day, and that one in 389 users may be the recipient of such an attack. Contrast this with Japan where at least one attack is blocked nearly every nine days, and may only be sent to one in 520 individuals. The November Symantec Intelligence Report includes additional data on the geographical distribution of these attacks.
The public sector has been identified as the most frequently targeted industry during 2011, with approximately 20.5 targeted attacks blocked each day. The chemical & pharmaceutical industry was second highest ranked, with 18.6 blocked each day. In this latter case, many of these attacks surfaced later in the year, and fit into the profile described in the Nitro attacks. Similarly, this is also the case for the manufacturing sector, which was placed third most-targeted with approximately 13.6 attacks blocked each day.
“The aim of these targeted attacks is to establish persistent access to the targeted organization’s network, in many cases with the aim of providing remote access to confidential data. They have the potential to cause serious damage to an organization and in the long term represent a significant threat against the economic prosperity of many countries,” said Paul Wood, senior intelligence analyst, Symantec.cloud.
“Targeted attacks are designed to gather intelligence, steal confidential information or trade secrets, and in the case of attacks like Stuxnet, disrupt operations or even destroy critical infrastructure.”
This month’s analysis indicates that large enterprises consisting of more than 2,500 employees received the greatest number of attacks, with 36.7 being blocked each day. By contrast, the small-to-medium sized business sector with less than 250 employees had 11.6 attacks blocked daily.
“It is important to remember that without strong social engineering, or ’head-hacking,’ even the most technically sophisticated attacks are unlikely to succeed. Many attacks include elements of social engineering and are based on information we make available ourselves through social networking and social media sites. Once the attackers are able to understand our interests or hobbies, with whom we socialize and who else may be in our networks; they are often able to construct more believable and convincing attacks against us,” Wood said.
While targeted attacks are on the increase, the global spam rate has now reached its lowest level in three years. The effect of spam volumes three years ago was very dramatic and spam accounted for 68.0% of global emails. Recently the decline has been much slower, but spammers have also adapted to using more targeted approaches and exploiting social media as alternatives to email. Pharmaceutical spam is now at the lowest it has been since we started tracking it, accounting for 32.5 % of spam, compared with 64.2% at the end of 2010.
Other report highlights:
- Spam: The global ratio of spam in email traffic in November fell by 3.7 percentage points since October to 70.5 percent (1 in 1.42 emails).
- Phishing: In November, the global phishing rate increased by 0.04 percentage points, taking the average to one in 302.0 emails (0.33 percent) that comprised some form of phishing attack.
- E-mail-borne Threats: The global ratio of email-borne viruses in email traffic was one in 255.8 emails (0.39 percent) in November, a decrease of 0.03 percentage points since October 2011. Further analysis also shows that 40.2 percent of email-borne malware contained links to malicious Web sites, an increase of 20.1 percentage points since October 2011.
- Web-based Malware Threats: In November, Symantec Intelligence identified an average of 4,915 Web sites each day harboring malware and other potentially unwanted programs including spyware and adware; an increase of 47.8 percent since October 2011.
- Endpoint Threats: The most frequently blocked malware for the last month was WS.Trojan.H. WS.Trojan.H is generic cloud-based heuristic detection for files that possess characteristics of an as yet unclassified threat. Files detected by this heuristic are deemed by Symantec to pose a risk to users and are therefore blocked from accessing the computer.
- In the US, 69.9 percent of email was spam and 69.5 percent in Canada.
- The spam level in the UK was 69.5 percent.
- In The Netherlands, spam accounted for 70.5 percent of email traffic, 70.1 percent in Germany, 70.4 percent in Denmark.
- In Australia 68.6 percent of email was blocked as spam, 69.2 percent in Hong Kong and 68.0 percent in Singapore, compared with 66.6 percent in Japan.
- Spam accounted for 70.1 percent of email traffic in South Africa and 74.3 percent in Brazil.
- South Africa once again became the country most targeted for phishing attacks in November, with one in 96.2 emails identified as phishing.
- The UK was the second most targeted country, with one in 167.0 emails identified as phishing attacks.
- Phishing levels for the US were one in 461.8 and one in 242.4 for Canada.
- In Germany phishing levels were one in 426.2, one in 781.5 in Denmark and one in 250.4 in The Netherlands.
- In Australia, phishing activity accounted for one in 361.0 emails and one in 517.0 in Hong Kong; for Japan it was one in 2,058 and one in 609.7 for Singapore.
- In Brazil one in 775.3 emails was blocked as phishing.
- The UK remained at the top of the table with the highest ratio of malicious emails in November, with one in 149.4 emails identified as malicious.
- Switzerland had the second highest rate, with one in 185.6 emails identified as malicious.
- In South Africa returned to the top-5 list this month with one in 222.5 emails blocked as malicious.
- Virus levels for email-borne malware in the US reached one in 360.1 and one in 219.9 in Canada. In Germany virus activity reached one in 275.0, one in 710.5 in Denmark and in The Netherlands one in 238.2.
- In Australia, one in 326.2 emails was malicious and one in 325.8 in Hong Kong. For Japan the rate was one in 1,147, compared with one in 450.0 in Singapore.
- In Brazil, one in 570.6 emails in contained malicious content.
- With a drop in spam this month, the Automotive industry became the most spammed industry sector in November, with a spam rate of 73.0 percent.
- The spam rate for the Education sector was 71.5 percent and 69.1 percent for the Chemical & Pharmaceutical sector, compared with 69.3 percent for IT Services, 69.0 percent for Retail, 68.8 percent for Public Sector and 69.2 percent for Finance.
- The spam rate for small to medium-sized businesses (1-250) was 69.4%, compared with 69.7.1% for large enterprises (2500+).
- The Public Sector remained the most targeted by phishing activity in November, with one in 120.9 emails comprising a phishing attack.
- Phishing levels for the Chemical & Pharmaceutical sector reached one in 407.5 and one in 377.0 for the IT Services sector, one in 397.0 for Retail, one in 130.5 for Education and one in 331.7 for Finance.
- Phishing attacks targeting small to medium-sized businesses (1-250) accounted for one in 211.0 emails, compared with one in 334.0 for large enterprises (2500+).
- With one in 74.3 emails being blocked as malicious, the Public Sector remained the most targeted industry in November.
- Virus levels for the Chemical & Pharmaceutical sector reached one in 275.5 and one in 276.6 for the IT Services sector; one in 337.1 for Retail, one in 105.2 for Education and one in 386.6 for Finance.
- Malicious email-borne attacks destined for small to medium-sized businesses (1-250) accounted for one in 253.7 emails, compared with one in 249.9 for large enterprises (2500+).
The November Symantec Intelligence Report provides greater detail on all of the trends and figures noted above, as well as more detailed geographical and vertical trends. [December 6, 2011]
Send this IT news to a friend
Other IT news about Symantec
Symantec Solutions Achieve Rigorous Foreign Government Certifications (April 3, 2013)
Symantec provides broad security and compliance portfolio integration with the VMware Cloud infrastructure suite (March 1, 2012)
Norton One to deliver comprehensive security with personalized service (February 20, 2012)
Symantec releases new research revealing psychology behind intellectual property theft by corporate insiders (December 9, 2011)
Symantec: Major cyber security trends from 2011 and 2012 Storage and Backup trends (December 2, 2011)
Norton Online Family Report Identifies Issues of "Cyberbaiting" and Overspending (November 18, 2011)
Norton Mobile Security update includes new “Scream” feature and web-based antitheft capabilities (November 8, 2011)
24x7 Help Desk Service Offers Multi-Platform and Multi-Device Support for Technology Challenges Faced by Consumers and Small Offices (October 27, 2011)
DLT Solutions Demonstrates Expertise through its Achievement of all Available Symantec Specializations (October 24, 2011)
New Symantec DeepSight Reputation DataFeeds Identify Attack Actors, Malicious Activity Sources in Real-Time (October 13, 2011)
Symantec Threat Researchers Profile Top 7 Android Monetization Schemes (October 13, 2011)
Symantec Introduces Intelligent Authentication to Combat Evolving Threats (October 12, 2011)
Huawei Symantec Moves Into Canada With NetStor Technology Group (NTG) (September 20, 2011)
Cybercrime Cost Canadians $840 million Last Year (September 7, 2011)
Norton Launches 2012 Products, Extends “Norton Everywhere” Initiative (September 7, 2011)
Norton Gives “Likejacking” Scams the Thumbs-Down (September 2, 2011)
Norton’s Back-to-School Checklist for Online Safety (August 23, 2011)
Norton Mobile Security Lite Available for Free Download in Android Market (August 12, 2011)
Norton Safe Web for Facebook Application Passes the Million User Mark (July 13, 2011)
Symantec Report Finds Cyber Threats Skyrocket in Volume and Sophistication (June 30, 2011)
Symantec Announces June 2011 Symantec Intelligence Report (June 29, 2011)
Symantec to Acquire Clearwell Systems (May 20, 2011)
Symantec Releases April 2011 MessageLabs Intelligence Report (April 26, 2011)
Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus 2012 Public Betas Now Available (April 18, 2011)
Symantec System Recovery Delivers Flexible Recovery of Physical and Virtual Systems (April 5, 2011)
Symantec NetBackup Adds Intelligent Policy Technology to Automatically Discover and Protect Virtual Machines (March 16, 2011)
NTT DOCOMO and Symantec to Introduce New Managed Service to Help Customers Protect Data on Lost or Stolen Laptops (February 11, 2011)
Norton Survey Reveals One in Three Experience Cell Phone Loss, Theft (February 10, 2011)
Symantec Announces January 2011 MessageLabs Intelligence Report: (January 26, 2011)
Symantec Delivers Industry First Appliance With Backup, Deduplication and Storage Capabilities (January 18, 2011)
Study Finds Antiquated IT Safeguards and Access Policies Leave Employees Frustrated and Enterprises Vulnerable (January 13, 2011)
Symantec Delivers Norton Internet Security to Small Businesses on HP PCs Worldwide (January 4, 2011)
Norton Study Reveals ’Over-Sharing’ of Holiday Cheer Puts Consumers at Risk (December 17, 2010)
Botnets prove resilient another year on; Email-borne malware increases one hundred fold, according to Symantec (December 9, 2010)
Symantec Announces October 2010 MessageLabs Intelligence Report (October 27, 2010)
Norton 360 Version 5.0 Beta Now Available for Download and Testing (October 13, 2010)
The Silent Epidemic: Cybercrime Strikes More Than Two-Thirds of Internet Users (September 9, 2010)
Symantec Solutions Give Customers the Confidence to Virtualize Their Business-Critical Applications (September 1, 2010)
Symantec Completes Acquisition of VeriSign’s Security Business (August 10, 2010)
Survey Finds Infinite Data Retention Leading to Costly Information Management Mistakes (August 4, 2010)
One in Three Top-Trending Search Topics Return Malicious Results, Finds Norton Study (July 29, 2010)
Symantec Tool Challenges Small Businesses to Assess their Exposure to Information Risk (July 22, 2010)
’Twilight’ Fever Brings Cybercriminals Out of the Woodwork (July 1, 2010)
Symantec Announces June 2010 MessageLabs Intelligence Report (June 23, 2010)
Symantec Survey Reveals Information Protection Is the Highest IT Priority for SMBs (June 21, 2010)
Symantec Completes Acquisition of PGP and GuardianEdge (June 8, 2010)
’Norton Everywhere’ Initiative Takes Consumer Business Beyond the PC and Security (May 28, 2010)
Symantec to Offer Broadest Data Protection Capabilities With Acquisition of PGP Corporation and GuardianEdge (April 30, 2010)
Symantec Announces April 2010 MessageLabs Intelligence Report (April 28, 2010)
Cybercrime’s Financial and Geographic Growth Shows No Slowdown during the Global Economic Crisis (April 20, 2010)
The Norton Top 10 Riskiest Online Cities Report Reveals Who in Canada is Most Vulnerable to Cybercrime (March 23, 2010)
Symantec Unveils February 2010 MessageLabs Intelligence Report (March 2, 2010)
Symantec 2010 State of Enterprise Security Study Shows Frequent, Effective Attacks on Worldwide Business (February 22, 2010)
Symantec Unveils January 2010 MessageLabs Intelligence Report (January 25, 2010)
Symantec Report: November State of Spam and Phishing Report (November 13, 2009)
Symantec Simplifies Backup and Recovery to Help Small Businesses Protect Against Downtime (November 4, 2009)
Symantec Report: October State of Spam and Phishing Report (October 28, 2009)
Cybercriminals Use Fear and Anxiety to Convince Users to Buy Rogue Security Software (October 19, 2009)
Symantec Platform Helps Customers Build and Manage Cloud Storage Infrastructure (October 6, 2009)
Symantec Announces September and Q3 2009 MessageLabs Intelligence Report (September 30, 2009)
Symantec Launches Norton 2010 Products, Introducing New Detection Technologies in the Fight against Cyber Crime (September 10, 2009)
Symantec VoR: Trojan.Peskyspy Recording Skype VoIP Conversations (August 28, 2009)
Symantec Identifies “Dirtiest Web Sites of Summer 2009” (August 20, 2009)
Symantec VoR: A botnet using Twitter as a command and control structure (aka Downloader.Sninfs) (August 16, 2009)
Symantec Protection Suite Delivers Streaming Defense Against Web 2.0 Threats (August 4, 2009)
Symantec Awarded $18.6 Million in Judgments Resulting From Two Anti-Piracy Cases (July 13, 2009)
Symantec Raises the Bar for Next Generation Information Management (July 9, 2009)
Symantec Unveils New Model of Consumer Protection Codenamed "Quorum" (July 6, 2009)
Symantec Managed Endpoint Protection Services Deliver Enhanced Security Against Emerging Threats (June 24, 2009)
Symantec Launches MessageLabs Instant Messaging Security Service (June 17, 2009)
Symantec to Offer Online Backup on HP Consumer Desktop and Notebook PCs (June 15, 2009)
Symantec Survey Reveals Canadian SMBs Are Not Implementing Basic Security Practices (May 8, 2009)
Symantec Managed Backup Services Provide Comprehensive Management of Backup and Recovery Operations (May 1, 2009)
Symantec Announces April 2009 MessageLabs Intelligence Report (April 29, 2009)
Symantec Launches OnlineFamily.Norton Service for Free Through 2009 (April 27, 2009)
Symantec Internet Security Threat Report Finds Malicious Activity Continues to Grow at a Record Pace (April 16, 2009)
IT Embracing Managed Security to Meet Security Challenges (March 25, 2009)
Symantec Delivers New Generation of Client and Server Management (March 11, 2009)
Norton 360 Now Speeds PC Performance and Extends Online Protection With Norton Safe Web (March 5, 2009)
Symantec Previews Web-Based Remote Support Innovation at DEMO 2009 (March 3, 2009)
More Than Half of Ex-Employees Admit to Stealing Company Data According to New Study (February 24, 2009)
Symantec Launches Beta Service That Connects Parents to Their Kids’ Online Lives (February 19, 2009)
Symantec Transforms Workspace Management With Endpoint Virtualization (February 18, 2009)
Symantec Presents January 2009 MessageLabs Intelligence Report (January 28, 2009)
Symantec Incubates Next Generation Cloud and Web 2.0 Computing Concepts (January 26, 2009)
Symantec Announces Availability of Enterprise Vault 8.0 and Its 10-Year Anniversary (January 20, 2009)
Symantec’s 2008 State of the Data Center Report Reveals Managers Pressured to "Do More with Less" (January 13, 2009)
Symantec Releases Public Beta of Norton 360 Version 3.0 (December 31, 2008)
Symantec Announces New Norton Internet Security for Mac (December 19, 2008)
Symantec Awarded $12 Million Judgment in Counterfeit Software Case (December 18, 2008)
Symantec Unveils Comprehensive Storage Solution to Help Customers Stop Buying Storage (December 16, 2008)
Symantec Delivers High Availability and Disaster Recovery Solutions for VMware Environments (December 10, 2008)
Symantec Reveals Small to Medium Business Data Protection Practices Not on Pace With Data Growth (December 1, 2008)
Symantec Provides Protection With Norton 360 on Gateway and eMachines PC Brands (November 26, 2008)
Symantec Launches Norton AntiVirus 2009 Gaming Edition (November 26, 2008)
New Symantec Report Reveals Booming Underground Economy (November 24, 2008)
Symantec Completes Acquisition of MessageLabs (November 17, 2008)
Symantec Demonstrates Market Leadership in Storage Software (October 28, 2008)
3PAR and Symantec Team to Develop Non-Disruptive, Automated Space Reclamation Technologies (October 17, 2008)
Symantec Enhances Interoperability Through the Open Collaborative Architecture (October 15, 2008)
Symantec and Dell to Deliver Simple, All-in-One Data Protection Solution (October 10, 2008)
Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.0 Adapts to Environment and Starves Spam Connections (October 10, 2008)
Symantec to Extend Online Services With Acquisition of MessageLabs (October 9, 2008)
Symantec Protection Network Continues Momentum With Beta Launch of Online Remote Access (September 18, 2008)
Symantec Delivers Innovative Data and System Protection for Virtual Machines and Windows Server 2008 Environments (September 17, 2008)
Symantec Launches Fastest Security Products in the World (September 10, 2008)
Virtualization Driving Organizations to Reevaluate Disaster Recovery Plans (August 28, 2008)
Symantec Releases Public Betas of Norton Internet Security 2009, Norton AntiVirus 2009 (July 17, 2008)
Symantec Defines the Next Generation of Endpoint Management (June 25, 2008)
Symantec Redefines Next Generation Data Protection (June 11, 2008)
Symantec Offers Complete, Integrated Virtualization Solution to Enable the Dynamic Data Center (June 11, 2008)
Voltage Launches eDiscovery Archive Connector for Symantec Enterprise Vault (June 10, 2008)
Symantec Expands Product Certification Program (June 3, 2008)
Symantec Awarded Funding From European Commission for Third Long-Term Research Project (April 8, 2008)
Symantec Announces New Versions of Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions for Windows (March 18, 2008)
Symantec Releases New Altiris Workflow Solution (March 17, 2008)
Symantec Delivers Endpoint Encryption Offering to Help Protect Sensitive Information (March 3, 2008)
Symantec Launches Two Software as a Service Offerings (February 21, 2008)
Symantec Helps ING Investment Management Meet E-Discovery Requirements (February 7, 2008)
Symantec Goes Virtual With Messaging Defense (February 5, 2008)
Symantec Research Debunks Common Myths That Contribute to IT Failures (January 31, 2008)
Symantec Names Enrique T. Salem Chief Operating Officer (January 10, 2008)
Symantec Awarded $21 Million in Judgments Against Counterfeit Software Piracy Rings (December 18, 2007)
Symantec Announces New Mac OS X Leopard-Compatible Norton AntiVirus (December 12, 2007)
Symantec Completes Acquisition of Vontu (December 4, 2007)
Symantec Releases the Latest Versions of Its Leading PC TuneUp Solution Norton SystemWorks (November 19, 2007)
Symantec Announces Comprehensive Solution for the Healthcare Industry (November 13, 2007)
Symantec Managed Threat Analysis Offers Customized Assessment of Targeted Malware Attacks (November 1, 2007)
Symantec Extends Complete Windows Protection to Altiris Environments (October 18, 2007)
Symantec Managed Security Services Delivers Increased Protection Against Bot Networks (October 4, 2007)
New Symantec Endpoint Security Solution Now Available (September 28, 2007)
iKeepSafe and Symantec Bring Internet Safety to Winston-Salem Children at Boys & Girls Club (September 20, 2007)
Symantec Launches Norton Internet Security 2008, Norton AntiVirus 2008 (August 30, 2007)
Symantec Announces Availability of Veritas NetBackup 6.5 (August 15, 2007)
Symantec Protects Critical Data and Systems to Support LifeGift’s Operations in Times of Disaster (August 3, 2007)
Symantec Unveils Next Generation Storage Resource Management with Veritas CommandCentral 5.0 (August 3, 2007)
Symantec Secures Web-Based Access to Corporate E-mail (July 20, 2007)
Symantec Selected as Sole Supplier of Innovative Network Security Solution and Services for International Military Demonstration (July 3, 2007)
Website based on SPIP, an Open Source program under GNU/GPL licence